We are recruiting for a Controls Engineer to join a specialist organisation who design, manufacture, commission and service Wet Blasting machinery on behalf of clients primarily within a manufacturing environment.
Established over 25 years ago the company provides Wet Blasting solutions to clients in the Uk and overseas across a range of industries including Automotive, Aerospace and Nuclear applications.
The Controls Engineer will be responsible for the design and development of complete control systems that meet agreed customer specifications on time and within budget.
A major part of the role will be to integrate the various components of a machine build project and make them work to the customers specification, both at our facility and subsequently at our customers’ sites in the Uk and overseas.
Although based in the South West this role is not limited to a defined geographical area and will include worldwide travel for periods of up to 8 weeks at any one time.
- Design full equipment control systems including the writing of requirement specifications for PLC programs ensuring electrical, PLC software, pneumatics and fluids control systems interface correctly and meet the required specifications
- Act as the control design authority for all projects assigned and take full technical ownership from inception to customer acceptance
- Develop, test and evaluate software.
- Provide a design support service to resolve problems during software integration and attend subcontractor premises as required
- Attend at the final stages of equipment commissioning on customer premises, to demonstrate machine compliance with the design specification, resolve control and electrical problems and achieve customer acceptance/satisfaction.
- Liaise with internal engineers and customers (UK and overseas) to establish design requirements and specifications and attend progress meetings as required.
- Undertake control design activities as required for new equipment and modify existing systems.
- Ensure all designs comply with best design codes of practice and safety standards and that they meet specifications, requirements and objectives.
- Undertake ad hoc activities as directed by the Design Manager.
Skills & Attributes
- Degree in Control or Electrical Engineering (or a closely related discipline) PLC and HMI programming
- Knowledge of either Mitsubishi and Allen Bradley PLC Systems – Training will be provided on other system.
- Proven experience in programming and control engineering in the design of high value complex equipment
- IT skills with a good knowledge of
- Excel and Word & CAD
- Knowledge of pneumatics, hydraulics and fluids is desirable
- Ability to generate schemes and designs in a timely manner
- Desire to keep abreast of advances in control/PLC technology and incorporate these into new designs
- Level of drive, determination and tenacity to achieve design and project timings.
- Must be able to travel in and outside of the UK on a regular basis as you are expected to attend customer and would be expected outside the office including time at subcontractors.
Note: – Apex Engineering are acting as an Employment Agency