This is a unique opportunity to join one of the world’s leading professional bodies for qualifications and standards in structural engineering. The institution has over 27,000 members worldwide working in 105 countries. The institution is an internationally recognised source of expertise and information concerning all issues that involve structural engineering and public safety within the built environment.
The position will primarily involve actively support the Director and Chair of the Structural Safety group through the day to day management of its activities. To assist with the activities of the Scheme (CROSS) to increase its presence and help underpin the exciting and ambitious plans to grow its international remit.
- Arrange the business of the Structural-Safety Committee including quarterly meetings. Act as secretary to the committee, which will include the preparation and circulation of agendas, taking minutes, report on progress of actions and the result of decisions.
- Actively engage with companies, of all sizes, working in the build environment and relevant regulatory bodies to support the development of the Scheme (CROSS)
- Assist in running the CROSS system including acquisition of new reports, the analysis of reports, and providing guidance to support trends.
- Prepare quarterly CROSS Newsletters, SCOSS Alerts and Topic Papers, and Group Reviews in association with the Director of Structural – Safety.
- Help to prepare guidance/advice notices for publication in UK and international journals together with educational material.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with relevant industry groups and firms to share knowledge, which will include preparing and making presentations.
- Continue to develop and manage the website
- Liaise with Institution Technical Panels as required, for example the Health and Safety Panel to support the ongoing development of the strategy.
- Chartered Member of the Institution of Structural Engineers or equivalent
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the civil & structural industry
- Knowledge and understanding of the activities performed by the Structural-Safety Group that embraces SCOSS and CROSS
- Knowledge of Health & Safety Regulations and requirements
- Understanding of regulatory requirements such as CDM Regulations