We are currently recruiting for a Senior Building Fabric Surveyor to join the Estates Department of this high profile University complex.
The Building Maintenance Surveyor will take responsibility for Staff management, initiating and managing maintenance and installation projects ensuring effective planning, co-ordination of resources and adherence to H&S statutory compliance requirements to deliver high quality work within defined budgets.
This is a permanent position working 37 hours per week. You will receive 44 days annual leave inclusive of 8 bank holidays and 6 university closure days. You will also be enrolled on to the pension scheme with an employer’s contribution of 21%.
- Lead, motivate, develop and performance manage the Building Services Section, instilling a strong team ethic and ensuring that Staff produce high quality outputs.
- Lead and liaise with colleagues from the wider Engineering Team and Project Management Office to develop and prioritise a proposed list of building fabric projects for inclusion in the annual Long Term Maintenance Capital and Revenue schedules.
- Lead and manage contractors and colleagues from the Maintenance & Engineering Team to prioritise, plan and deliver large maintenance projects through the efficient use of allocated budgets, internal staffing resources and external contracted services to ensure all works are delivered to a high standard, within agreed timescales and within budget.
- Plan and implement the collation of data relating to building conditions through building fabric surveys of the university real estate and make this information available in a suitable format for other Staff; utilise this information to inform the scope, prioritisation and justification of future projects that are incorporated into the department’s planning cycle.
- Prepare project proposals for approval via the University’s governance process to secure funding; update progress reports and make representation at appropriate committees at each project stage; take responsibility for monitoring large budget allocations; undertake regular financial forecasting to identify budgetary requirements for actual and future projects; work closely with the Senior Finance Business Partner to make appropriate budgetary adjustments to reflect real time project changes. Budgetary responsibility typically £3-5m of LTM capital and £300-500k of LTM revenue.
- Manage and approve Minor Works requests within the guidelines of the department’s Minor Works scheme, and allocate and monitor work to oversee these projects to their completion;
- Undertake Staff Performance & Development Reviews (PDR’s) in keeping with institutional requirements and ensure that Staff performance is in line with the expectation of their roles and of the department.
- Take responsibility for effective communication with customers, ensuring they are kept informed of progress on maintenance work, and that queries or concerns are handled appropriately, and in a timely manner; oversee and manage Customer Feedback and ensure that a strong Customer Service oriented approach is embedded in the Team.
- Ensure staff attendance at mandatory and job specific training as requested by the university.
- Ensure staff are compliant with all relevant regulations.
- Develop and implement improvement incentives that will enhance performance and enable the department to work efficiently.
Skills & Attributes
- Substantial experience of co-ordinating and managing large scale projects in a complex organisation.
- Experience of reading and interpreting engineering and building schematic drawings.
- Experience of successfully co-ordinating the work of Contractors.
- Experience of applying Health and Safety regulations in a building services environment.
- Honours Degree in Building Surveying or HNC/HND in Building Surveying supplemented with significant experience developed in a relevant environment.
- NEBOSH National General Certificate.
- Full UK Driving Licence.
- Knowledge of CAFM system would be beneficial.
- Highly professional with a commitment to excellent Customer Service.
- Effective organisational skills with the ability to motivate Staff and prioritise work schedules efficiently.
- Proven ability to successfully co-ordinate complex projects within defined budgetary constraints.
- Proven knowledge of current Health, Safety and Compliance legislation.
- Adaptable and able to lead and manage change in a progressive work environment.
- A willingness to undertake future training as required.
Note:- Apex Resourcing Solutions are acting as an Employment Agency