Our client, a well-established multi-million pound turnover Civils Contractor has recently been awarded a prestigious six year NMS Framework contract within Wastewater Treatment. The role involves a range of pre-construction activities including the liaison and management of a third-party design service employed by the business.
The role would suit an experienced Project Manager / Contracts Manager who has had experience in successfully delivering wastewater civil engineering projects. In addition, you should possess good knowledge of temporary works, especially dewatering, overpumping and groundwork support.
You will need to have a good understanding of the design process and how to influence design with value engineering input and advice on buildability. Taking concept designs from the client and develop these through into viable schemes ready for construction. The role will entail the following responsibilities –
- Assemble design team members and provide input into the design team. Attend meetings and lead the way in ensuring that deadlines are met.
- Produce budget costings for schemes, investigate alternative options. Put forward innovative ideas.
- Early involvement with key suppliers and subcontractors. Arrange meetings to discuss input and coordination.
- Draw up provisional programmes and resource charts.
- Liaison with Traffic Management suppliers to establish viable TM options.
- Early involvement with various stakeholders such as United Utilities engineers, local authority highways, statutory service providers, Environment Agency, local authority Planning Departments
- Close liaison with the Estimating department to give required information to ensure robust costing of final designs.
- Arrange internal meetings with operational staff to provide updates on the status of schemes in development stage.
- Compile all necessary pre-construction information and prepare a document pack for formal handover to the operation delivery team.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Several years in the civil engineering industry. Preferably with good site experience of wastewater networks and with time spent working within a Contractor’s Design environment.
- Ideally possess a minimum BSc in Civil Engineering
- Formal qualification in Temporary Works evaluation
- Familiar with United Utilities Standards, processes and procedures.
- Has preferably undertaken a similar role in a medium-sized civil engineering business.
- The candidate will need to demonstrate the ability to manage several schemes simultaneously
- Previous experience of working within a design team / design practice would be advantageous.
- Experience of design coordination is desirable
- Excellent knowledge of civil engineering techniques is required such as open-cut, shaft construction, timber headings, no-dig techniques (directional drilling/ pipe jacking), sewer re-lining and general sewer rehabilitation